Fun Times on Catalina Island

We recently returned from a wonderful four day sail to Catalina Island. Joined by my parents, but unfortunately not by the wind, we motored to Avalon Harbor for our first evening aboard Ellis Island II. My parents hadn’t been to Avalon in many years so we headed ashore, walked the town then had a lovely dinner along the water at Blue Water Grill. The next morning we woke up to sunshine and the noises of a lively harbor; we launched off our mooring and motored up to Two Harbors.

Typically we stay in Cherry Cove however when we arrived it was already full! We think people were slow to leave but we decided Isthmus Cove would work instead. This way we were closer to shore and we could pick up our third guest, my sister Jamie! Jamie had taken the ferry that morning and passed us as we approached the harbor…(thanks for the wake!) and she booked a campsite for the night. 

The day was warm, but the wind picked up a few hours after we got settled in making it a little cold if you were wet. The water was a bit chilly but we had plenty of toys to use without having to fully submerge. My Mom took to snorkeling, Rich to his floating chair, my Dad to the hammock, and Jamie and I enjoyed the now open space in the cockpit. Everyone had delicious snacks and beverages while we relaxed in the sun. Before the sun set we grilled off the back of the boat then sang an early happy birthday song to my Dad. He’s turning 60 next month but we won’t be around so we enjoyed (more than we needed) cupcakes and fun times.

We took to shore in the morning to stretch our legs and clean up in the showers. On the boat my Mom treated us to a fantastic brunch of chorizo and eggs, coffee, and mimosas. She really outdid herself. To the point I definitely think Rich is considering switching up the galley girl in the future, I usually spoil him with cereal in the AM… needless to say, he was impressed by the meal. The day was again filled with relaxation, good music, food, drinks, snorkeling, paddle boarding, and floating. We enjoyed one final dinner prepared on the grill, then road Jamie ashore so she could catch the last night ferry back to the mainland.

The harbor master stopped by in the morning asking us if we wanted to stay another night since they had many moorings available. We would have loved to, but we had to get the boat back to its rightful owner. Luckily since the harbor wasn’t full, we were able to enjoy a breakfast and take our time getting the boat ready for our journey back to Redondo Beach. The wind that had picked up the other day was nowhere to be found so we motor sailed home.

We had a great trip with the Melton’s and can’t wait for our next adventure with them. It was so nice having my Dad there to help with lines and the dinghy, and having my Mom there to help with food and all things down below. I think it might of spoiled us a little have the extra help! We’re looking forward to the next opportunity we have to get back to California. Until then we get to look forward to our sailing trip for Rich’s birthday this month in Sweden with the Kratz family!




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s